A carer is someone who provides unpaid care to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour who could not manage without this help because of frailty, physical or mental illness, addiction or disability.

Disclosure of Carer Status

The University actively encourages students to disclose their Carer Status using the opportunity on the UCAS application form or during the enrolment process. Forms are available from Student Advice.

Support Package

Support Plan

Due to the unpredictable nature and demands of caring roles, students may be provided with a Carers Support Plan that provides leeway in relation to assignment deadlines, tutor contact and attendance but not exams

The plan may consider or suggest adjustments but will not make recommendations around placement support, international visits, field trips or residential requirements as we recognise that these may be difficult to put in place.

You may require a Parking Permit in order to ensure you can meet your caring responsibilities. If so please contact Student Advice for more information.

Financial Support

BGU Learning Fund

Student Carers are recognised as a Priority Group for the BGU Learning Fund. The BGU Learning Fund provides discretionary assistance to students to help them access and remain in Higher Education. For more information, please contact Student Advice

BGU Bursary

Additional funding may be available through the Bursary if you are a Carer. Please contact Student Advice for more information.

Please note if you are a carer in receipt of Carers’ Allowance you will be unable to continue claiming this support when in full time studies at university. Other benefits may also be affected by full time funding.


The evidence that is needed to enable an adviser to write a support plan for you whilst at university must document the caring role of the student not the condition of the person being cared for:

  • A letter from a Doctor or Consultant detailing he caring role
  • A local authority carer assessment
  • A letter from a Carers Centre
  • DWP correspondence regarding withdrawal of Carers Allowance due to starting University
  • A solicitors letter

Click here to download the Registering Caring Responsibilities form.