For the class of 2020, Graduation has been delayed until July 2021.
We will appoint one Student Orator for each Congregation ceremony (4 Student Orators in total), and if successful you would be speaking at your graduation ceremony on behalf of your cohort of students.
You will provide a unique contribution to make the day special and memorable for graduates, and their guests. It will be an unforgettable experience for you – one that will enhance your CV.
Your speech should last for around 3 minutes and be between 200-250 words.
To assist you, we have included the following guidance:
- Your speech should be positive and uplifting.
- Reflect on your time at University as well as talking about the graduation day and hopes for the future.
- Do not be too specific to your course or subject area – you may be speaking on behalf of graduates from different academic schools as well as your own.
- Perhaps mention how University life has benefitted you as a person, and students generally.
- It is fine to acknowledge the importance of the support given by staff, family and friends but don’t include personal thanks or mention staff or friends by name.
- You are welcome to include anecdotes of your time at University as long as the story is meaningful to the whole cohort (and suitable for the audience).
- Note that you will give the speech at the end of the ceremony so you can refer to ‘graduation’ in the past tense.
Student Orators will be awarded a gift from our official gown hire company Ede and Ravenscroft in recognition of your contribution and your name will appear in the prize winners section of the programme; it will also be called out when you cross the platform to collect your certificate.
All applications must be received by Tuesday 16th May 2021, emailed to email@example.com – please attach your draft oration and include your full name, course title, day/time of graduation and mark the email Student Orator. If successful, confirmation will be sent to you via email by Friday 11th June 2021.
If you have any questions about the role of Student Orator, please contact the Graduation Office on 01522 585635, drop into the Graduation Office in the Applicant Centre or email firstname.lastname@example.org