The University Council is the University’s supreme governing body, it has ultimate responsibility for the affairs of the University and operates under the Articles of Association of the Company incorporating the Instrument and Articles of Government of the University.
The key responsibilities of the University Council are for:
- the character of the institution as a Church of England University
- the determination of the educational character and mission of the University and for oversight of its activities
- the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and for safeguarding its assets
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment of the Vice Chancellor and senior staff members, and setting a framework for the pay and conditions of other staff
You may view/download the Articles of Association of the Company incorporating the Instrument and Articles of Government of the University, approved by the Privy Council on 9 January 2019, available here:
Prior to 9 January 2019, the University operated under the Instrument and Articles of Government, approved by the Privy Council on 24 April 2014, available here:
The responsibilities of the University Council are governed by the Statement of Primary Responsibilities.
If you are interested in joining University Council or one of its subcommittees, please click here for further details.