Bishop Grosseteste University is working within partnership with School Direct to be able to support our students in an alternative route into teaching. School Direct offers more school-led training within local schools around the county.
Programmes generally last for one year and financial support is available throughout your training. Successful completion of the programme will lead to the award of qualified teacher status (QTS) and many courses also award a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) or masters-level credits on completion.
How it works
You will be based in one of the schools in the partnership and you’ll also be taught by BG, attending lectures and seminars to bolster your hands-on experience with theories. In some cases you’ll find out which school you’ll be placed in when you apply or are interviewed, but this isn’t always possible. There are primary and secondary places available all over England – the numbers vary across subjects and age groups, depending on the number of schools in each partnership. Some schools may consider part-time placements – you’ll need to approach a school directly if you’d like to be considered for a part-time placement.
You can take the School Direct pathway in either a Primary or Secondary setting.
School Direct Training Programme
Although your training is based in a school, they’re not your employers, and in many ways your training will be similar to training programmes in universities and colleges. You’ll pay fees but you might be eligible for funding through tuition fee loans, training bursaries or scholarships.
Salaried School Direct Training Programme
This route allows you to train ‘on the job’ and is an employment-based route for high-quality experienced graduates with at least three years’ work experience. You will earn a salary while you train.
- Secondary: Biology, Chemistry, English, Geography, History, Mathematics, Physics
The Humber Teaching School:
- Secondary: Business Studies, Computing, English, Geography, Health and Social Care, History, Physical Education
Nottingham Catholic Teaching School Alliance:
- Secondary: Biology, Chemistry, English, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Religious Education
Positive Regard Teaching School Alliance
- Secondary: Biology, Chemistry, Design and Technology, English, Mathematics, Physical Education, Physics
Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School:
- Secondary: Art and Design, Business Studies, Design and Technology, Drama, Mathematics, Modern Foreign Languages (French, German, Spanish), Physical Education, Science (Biology, Chemistry)
St Francis School:
- Secondary: English
St Mary’s Schools Direct Partnership Programme:
Stamford ITE Cluster:
Tall Oaks Academy Trust:
- Secondary: Biology, Chemistry, English, Geography, History, Mathematics, Physical Education, Physics.
The Bardney CofE and Methodist Primary School:
The Forge Trust:
The Phoenix School:
- Secondary: Art & Design, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Computing, Design and Technology, Drama, English, Geography, History, Mathematics, Modern Foreign Languages (French, German, Spanish), Physical Education, Physics, Religious Education, Social Sciences.
If you are a graduate applying for a School Direct training place, there are a range of funding options available to you. Click here to be taken to our Funding page for more information.