This is an assessment only route to QTS, appropriate for very experienced applicants with normally more than two years’ successful teaching experience. Candidates will be meeting the Teacher’s Standards on entry, with a requirement to demonstrate these standards in practice and through evidence in a portfolio, without further training. The normal duration of this route will be three months. Candidates will receive explanation of the process for presentation of evidence towards the Teachers’ Standards (QTS) and the assessment process.
This self-funded route will enable successful candidates to achieve QTS. Bishop Grosseteste University welcomes, encourages and supports further continuing development towards MA Education following the completion of this Assessment-only route.
This route is appropriate for candidates who:
- have graduated
- have Mathematics and English GCSE or equivalent at Grade C or above
- For Primary: also have Science GCSE or equivalent at Grade C or above
- have substantial, successful teaching experience
You will also need a current, relevant DBS.
The assessment period will last for a minimum of 6 weeks and a maximum of three months and, therefore, prior experience and evidence for Teachers’ Standards in two contexts will be essential. Evidence showing that the Teachers’ Standards have been met in two relevant settings in the recent past is needed for anyone to gain QTS. We can give further advice on how much additional experience is needed and in what settings during the initial screening process and then this can be gained prior to starting the assessment period.
The Literacy and Numeracy Skills’ Tests will also need to be passed prior to commencing the assessment period.
Applicants will need to specify the two consecutive age ranges they would like to be assessed in, selected from the following:
Fees are broken down as follows:
- Application and initial screen = £100 to be sent with the application from (non-refundable)
- Initial assessment = £500 inclusive of interview and school observation (regardless of whether accepted onto the AO route)
- Organisation of school for interview observation (if required) = £50
- Final assessment package = £1,000 inclusive of evidence gathering and one visit by two assessors
- Provision of placement = £100 per week
- Additional visits = £250 per visit per assessor (at BG discretion as to if required)
- Travel expenses if over 50 miles from BG = appropriate travel and accommodation expenses as per current BG Staff regulations
Suitability for the Assessment Only route will be decided during the selection process on the basis of whether training is needed as the Assessment Only route is only suitable for applicants who do not require training.
How to Apply
You will need to complete the application form and self-assessment in order to be considered for a place. Please return them to Admissions, Bishop Grosseteste University Lincoln, LN1 3DY or email us at email@example.com
- Application Form – PDF Version / Word Document Version
- Self-Assessment Form – PDF Version / Word Document Version
The application and selection process will involve:
- Application form, including self-assessment against Teachers’ Standards and references
- Interview at Bishop Grosseteste University
- Successful completion of reading and writing task
- Observation of teaching in appropriate age range
- Scrutiny of planning files
- Written task
- For Primary: Mathematics task
- For Secondary: Subject task
Please direct any specific queries to:
Tel: 01522 583749
Tel: 01522 583742