With a pedigree dating back to 1886, the library at Bishop Grosseteste University College has been part of learning in Lincolnshire for more than a century.
Now, the historic building is being given a £2.5 million facelift and expansion to keep up with demand for courses at the university college as well as to meet modern learning needs.
The library houses 135,000 resources including books, journals, audio-visual resources (DVDs, CDs), ebooks and a renowned Teaching Resources Collection including children’s books, resource packs and puppet bags.
Once completed, the new building will also be the new home of BG’s Student Support and Learning Advice teams, bringing all the support students need under one purpose-built roof.
Hâf Merrifield, Deputy Principal of BG, commented: “Our library has come a long way since its beginnings in a lecture room cupboard in 1886, and it is still growing.
“As a 150th birthday present to ourselves we are carrying out a major expansion of the library with enhanced study and IT facilities. The development will mean access to the 135,000 physical resources housed within the building will be improved.
“We have covered the essential costs but we need funds to enhance the quality of the refurbishment and to equip an extra space for the Learning Advice team. We’re most grateful to Ray, as an honorary graduate of BG, for supporting us as guest speaker at what promises to be a very engaging evening.
Construction work started in July 2011 and is expected to be completed in September 2012. The work is being carried out by Lincoln-based building and civil engineering contractors John Martin-Hoyes Ltd.