BGU currently has site licences for two commonly recommended pieces of assistive software, which are available for use by all students of the University. Both are available from the BGU Desktop, or by accessing Start/All Programs/Software.
Texthelp Read&Write GOLD
Read&Write GOLD is an easy to use toolbar designed to assist students with their reading and writing. Features include:
- Text-to-Speech: this reads all digitized text aloud from Word and PDF documents, emails, websites in a choice of different voices which can be altered by pitch, speed and volume.
- Text-to-Audio File: Turns text into an audio file, such as an MP3.
- Spell Checking: Easily check your document for spelling errors.
- Dictionary: Provides definitions and alternative words. Basic, Advanced and Online Dictionaries
- Screen Masking: Masks out all or part of the screen with a colour of your choice
Inspiration allows you to create a picture of your ideas and concepts in the form of a diagram or mind map. These can then be converted, at the click of a button, to an outline view for developing your ideas into word documents, presentation slides or handouts.
The Library has also produced a helpful Lib Guide item entitled ““Information for Students with Additional Needs” which gives information about the above assistive technology and other resources, available from Blackboard.