We very much hope you will be happy at BGU and remain here for the full duration of your Residence Contract. However, you may for a variety of reasons, wish to leave the Halls of Residence (or your designated room) ahead of this time. Here are some things you need to know if you’re considering different accommodation options – in all cases you should discuss your situation with the Accommodation Officer first.
Transferring into a Vacant Room in Halls
You will need to complete the appropriate paperwork and sign a new contract.
Swapping Rooms with another Student in Halls
You and the person you wish to swap with must see the Accommodation Officer to sign the appropriate paperwork. Both of you will need to sign new contracts.
Ending your Tenancy Early
By signing your Agreement you are making a commitment for the whole of the Period of Residence. Unless the University agrees to terminate the Agreement early, you will remain liable for the whole Residence Charge even if you decide to permanently vacate your room before the end of the Period of Residence.
If you wish to terminate your Residence Agreement before the end of the Period of Residence, you must give to Accommodation Services no less than 4 weeks written notice of your intentions by submitting a Request to Vacate University Accommodation (PDF). If you require a hard copy of this form, please contact the Accommodation Services.
There are certain circumstances in which the University may agree to terminate your contract early. Please note that this is entirely at the University’s discretion and there is no obligation for the University to agree to do so. The University may agree to terminate your contract early for one of the following reasons:
- You have got permission from the Accommodation Office to move into alternative accommodation provided by the University. In this case, this Agreement will apply to your new accommodation
- Either you or the University has found a replacement occupier who enters into an Agreement on the same terms and conditions as this Agreement. The University will assist using reasonable endeavours to find a replacement
- You have withdrawn or intercalated from your course. Please ensure you have completed all the necessary documents for your withdrawal / intercalation that will allow Quality Assurance and Student Data to update your student record. We cannot approve your request if your student records show you are still registered as a current student and you will continue to be charged for your accommodation. Please note that if the official date of your withdrawal / intercalation is more than 4 weeks after the date you submit your Request to Vacate, you will be charged up to the date of your withdrawal or intercalation
- The University agrees to end your tenancy on medical or other special grounds. Please note that evidence will be required by the University.
Whatever your reason for leaving and if you stay in Halls for the entirety of your contract, you will need to follow our moving out procedure on your last day which is as follows:
- On the end date of your contact, you must vacate your room by 11.59 pm
- All keys must be returned to the Accommodation Office or Porters’ Lodge – failure to do so will incur a charge
- Please make sure you clear all possessions from your room and communal areas (including the kitchen) and leave these arears in a clean and tidy condition, as per when you arrived. Should rooms or communal areas be left in an unacceptable condition you will be duly charged as per the terms and conditions of your Residence Agreement.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email our Accommodation Officer, Rachel Crane at firstname.lastname@example.org