‘Student Orator’ is the name given to the graduate who makes the closing speech at their graduation ceremony.
Bishop Grosseteste University Student Orators
We will appoint one Student Orator for each Congregation ceremony (4 Student Orators in total), and if successful you would be speaking at your graduation ceremony on behalf of your cohort of students.
You will provide a unique contribution to make the day special and memorable for graduates, and their guests. It will be an unforgettable experience for you – one which will enhance your CV.
Your speech should last for around 3 minutes and be between 200-250 words.
To assist you, we have included the following guidance:
- Your speech should be positive and uplifting.
- Reflect on your time at University as well as talking about the graduation day and hopes for the future.
- Do not be too specific to your course or subject area – you may be speaking on behalf of graduates from different academic schools as well as your own.
- Perhaps mention how University life has benefitted you as a person, and students generally.
- It is fine to acknowledge the importance of the support given by staff, family and friends but don’t include personal thanks or mention staff or friends by name.
- You are welcome to include anecdotes of your time at University as long as the story is meaningful to the whole cohort (and suitable for the audience).
- Note that you will give the speech at the end of the ceremony so you can refer to ‘graduation’ in the past tense.
Student Orators will be awarded a gift from our official gown hire company Ede and Ravenscroft in recognition of your contribution and your name will appear in the prizewinners section of the programme; it will also be called out when you cross the platform to collect your certificate.
All applications must be received by Friday 12 May, emailed to email@example.com – please attach your draft oration and include your full name, course title and mark the email Student Orator. If successful, confirmation will be sent to you via email on Friday 9 June.
If you have any questions about the role of Student Orator, please contact the Graduation Office on 01522 585635 or email firstname.lastname@example.org