Higher Education Review of Bishop Grosseteste University, carried out by QAA – January 2016
The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) visit universities and colleges once every six years to conduct a Higher Education Review of the standards and quality of the education they provide.
Staff and students from other providers are trained to carry out the review of the university or college and to make judgements on its management of quality and standards, its commitment to the process of improving its systems, and the reliability of the information produced about its provision.
The QAA are independent of government, universities and colleges and their findings and judgements are published on their website – www.qaa.ac.uk.
BGU Higher Education Review 2016
This review took place from 18 to 21 January 2016 and was conducted by a team of four reviewers.
The main purpose of the review was to investigate the higher education provided by BGU and to make judgements as to whether or not its academic standards and quality meet UK expectations. These expectations are the statements in the UK Quality Code for Higher Education (the Quality Code)1 setting out what all UK higher education providers expect of themselves and of each other, and what the general public can therefore expect of them.
In a Higher Education Review, the QAA review team makes judgements on:
- the setting and maintenance of academic standards
- the quality of student learning opportunities
- the information provided about higher education provision
- the enhancement of student learning opportunities
It also provides a commentary on a selected theme, makes recommendations, identifies features of good practice and affirms action that the provider is taking or plans to take.
Key judgements from the review
The following headline judgements were made with regard to standards and quality at BGU:
- The setting and maintenance of the academic standards of awards at the provider meet UK expectations
- The maintenance of the academic standards of awards offered on behalf of degree-awarding bodies and/or other awarding organisations meets UK expectations.
- The quality of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The quality of the information about learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The enhancement of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations
To view the full report, click here.