Introduction | Accessing Advice | Contact Us
Learning Development offers guidance to all students on developing and enhancing the study skills, academic practices and attributes needed for independent and effective study in Higher Education.
Whether you've just started university, want to improve your marks, or are stuck on an assignment, Learning Development can help you develop the skills to approach your studies with confidence. Learning Development provides:
- a wide range of self-help guides and e-resources;
- skills development activities within programmes;
- support for students with learning differences.
|What can Learning Development help with?|
- Unpacking an assignment brief and understanding the question or task
- Structuring an answer
- Academic writing (essays, reports, literature reviews, dissertations etc)
- Using appropriate academic vocabulary
- Improving introductions and conclusions
- Ensuring relevance, developing and maintaining an argument
- Moving from descriptive to analytical writing
- Skills for effective proof reading*
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Sentence construction
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Research skills and methods
- Effective presentation skills
- Time management, organisation and planning
- Locating reading materials
- Using journal articles
* Learning Development does not offer a proof reading service, but can help you develop the skills to do this yourself.